IN 2012, after 244 years in print, Encyclopedia Britannica became online-only. Now a group of German fans of Wikipedia, an online, user-generated encyclopedia, are raising money for a move in the opposite direction.
This article is Focusing all our attention on the state, we miss our own deeper failings of social trust.
One is tempted to remind them of M.G. Ranade’s eloquent warning:
“You cannot be liberal by halves. You cannot be liberal in politics and conservative in religion. The heart and the head must go together.You cannot cultivate your intellect, enrich your mind, enlarge the sphere of your political rights and privileges, and at the same time keep your hearts closed and cramped. It is an idle dream to expect men to remain enchained and enshackled in their own superstition and social evils, while they are struggling hard to win rights and privileges from their rulers.Before long these vain dreamers will find their dreams lost.”
Few who came to the argument were open to being persuaded, few were open to any possibilities other than what they had already committed to.
Though seven years have passed since the Supreme Court delivered a landmark judgment, most of the States have not complied with many of its directions to bring about police reforms.
Some States enacted laws and implemented the directions in part, prompting the court early this year to once again remind all of them of the need for compliance. The matter is still pending.
- Good economics is good politics TOI
- Nation slipping into blind faith Superstition and gold dig based on sadhu dream vs scientific temper
- Panchsheel myths Raja Mohan
- Morality and Mobile Phones in India Excellent article on how mobiles are challenging the old structures
- BDCA with China and its Implications for India IDSA India-china relations
- Vote Bank Politics: A Serious Threat to India’s Unity VIF
- The Tragedy of Moral Mistakes Medical or moral mistakes ?
- Call of duty An atmosphere of suspicion demoralises civil servants. We need deeper reform.IE
- IT and good sense for better governance Pimpri Chinchwad is a standout example of how integrated e-governance can improve urban service delivery.IE
- Seven billion people, seven billion terrorists TheHindu cyber challenges .
The NOTA option is not a right to reject, but it will let disillusioned voters be heard.
How the state has turned around under Nitish Kumar, and why it still needs help.
Critics of India’s nuclear posture have failed to understand the strategic calculus.